Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I made cheese!!!!!!!





I have always wanted to make cheese!! Alwayssss!  I love cheese. Sooo much.  I am still somewhat in a state of shock that I actually made cheese.  But guess what, it is SO easy.  Maybe I shouldn't be so proud of myself, it is honestly one of the easiest things to make ever. Maybe everyone makes cheese and I just don't know about it? Anyway, all you need out of the norm is a candy thermometer and some cheesecloth.  This recipe is for Chevre (goat cheese) served on warm mini toasts.  Yumminess!  Once the cheese is made you mix in salt, garlic, and herbs of your choice.  I didn't really have any herbs except parsely, so I added that and a little bit of finely chopped green onions.  Sorta random, but it turned out UH MAZING! Here's the recipe!


Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 carton goat's milk
  • 1/2 clove freshly grated garlic
  • A few pinches coarse salt
  • Herbs (up to you) but recommended: Rosemary, chives, parsley, herbs de Provence, fennel fronds, dill, etc.


  • Fill a medium saucepan with goat's milk. Heat gradually until it reaches 180°F. Watch closely. You can run in and out of the kitchen, but don't get too distracted. It shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes.

Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth—really, several. Otherwise you'll lose precious goat cheese through the soggy cloth. Place over a large bowl to catch the whey drips.

Ladle milk into colander. Pull up and tie the four corners of the cheesecloth together and hang on the handle of a wooden spoon. Set over a very deep bowl.

Allow whey to drain until a soft, ricotta-like consistency is reached inside the cloth, about 1 to 1.5 hours.

Transfer to a bowl and fold in salt, garlic, and flavors of your choice. Serve on toast or crackers if desired. 





1 comment:

  1. this is cheesy.

    :) I can attest, because I was just lucky enough to be served this by sugar buns, it was AMAZING! I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete